Clomid is one of the most widely used solutions to fertility problems. It is often recommended at the stage of primary medical care. Physicians and gynecologists prescribe it to women that have problems with getting pregnant before sending them to fertility specialists.
5 Key Facts about This Fertility Medicine
- It contains an active substance called Clomiphene.
- It enhances fertility by stimulating ovulation and making a menstrual cycle more regular and, consequently, predictable.
- The use of this medication often causes superovulation ― the production of more than one egg. That means that a woman is more likely to get pregnant with twins. The rate is about 10%.
- This remedy has proven to be effective enough. According to statistics, it provides ovulation in about 80% of patients. And about 50% of those women get pregnant.
- This product should be used on prescription only.
When Is This Medication Recommended?
There are 3 main cases:
- Irregular ovulation. This medicine is widely used to increase the chances of pregnancy in the case of ovarian disorders. Such conditions are characterized by irregular and unpredictable menstrual cycles. Consequently, it is more difficult to plan conception. The use of the drug specified helps to normalize cycles.
- Fertility difficulties related to the poor quality of semen. In such situations, specialists frequently recommend trying intrauterine insemination. For this procedure to be more effective, it is crucial to ensure the regularity of a menstrual cycle.
- Fertility problems, which cannot be explained. Sometimes, medical specialists fail to find a reason for infertility. Even healthy couples can face difficulties in conceiving a child. And, according to researchers, the stimulation of ovulation can help in such cases.
How Is This Fertility Medicine Used?
- First, this medication should be applied under close medical supervision only. One cannot deal without regular examinations. You will need to find time for frequent visits to a doctor.
- As a rule, a woman should start a course on the 5th day of a menstrual period and take these pills for 5 days, but a doctor may also recommend a different regimen. These tablets are usually applied at the beginning of a menstrual cycle.
- The daily dosage is 1–4 tablets. In most cases, patients start with the lowest dosage. If it turns out that it is not effective enough, a doctor may increase it. Sometimes, it takes several courses to determine the optimal dosage.
- It is better to take tablets at around the same time so that it is easier to keep track of the use.
- In most cases, ovulation comes in 5–10 days after a woman takes the latest tablet of the current course.
- Naturally, to get pregnant, a woman should have sex during the ovulation period. It is advisable to have intercourse regularly each alternate day starting from the 10th day of the cycle. The favorable period will last for about a week.
- There is no need to have sex several times a day if you do not want to. That will not improve your chances. In practice, that may lead to a decrease in the quantity of healthy sperm.
- To determine fertile days more precisely, you can use special ovulation tests, which can be taken at home, or monitor the body temperature (during the ovulation period it will increase slightly). Your doctor may also recommend undergoing an ultrasound or blood test.
- Even if a couple follows all the instructions of their doctor and has sexual intercourse during ovulation, that does not guarantee a successful pregnancy. So, stay patient and keep on trying.
- When a woman does not get pregnant after the course, specialists usually recommend taking another one. The maximum limit is 6 courses in a row, but a doctor may allow a patient to make more tries.
- The main reason why it is not recommended to take more than 6 courses ― chances of pregnancy will decrease.
- If the application of this medicine does not provide the results needed, a patient and her partner will probably be recommended undergoing additional examinations.
How to Apply this Drug Safely?
- First, you should never experiment with it at your sole discretion. If you have difficulties in getting pregnant, turn to a specialist for advice.
- If you suffer from ovarian enlargement (the only exception is polycystic ovary syndrome) or liver disease, you should inform your doctor about that. These are contraindications to the use of Clomiphene.
- Also, if you have abnormal vaginal bleeding, you will need to undergo additional examinations before being prescribed the medicine.
- Speaking about side effects, the most common ones are flushes, breast sensitivity or pains, vaginal bleeding, spotting, headaches.
- But there is also a risk of more severe adverse effects. The most dangerous one is the hyperstimulation of the ovaries. In some cases, it can even put your life in danger. Here are the symptoms of this condition: pains and bloating in the stomach, feeling sick, vomiting, diarrhea, swelling of the face or the body, problems with urination, an increase in the heart rate, breathlessness, pains related to breathing. If you notice any of the side effects mentioned above, call your doctor or an ambulance.
- Other symptoms, which require medical aid: pains, enlargement or discomfort in the pelvic area, severe bleeding, sight problems or changes.
- However, one should note that this fertility drug is usually well-tolerated.
- Remember that using this product can increase your chances of getting pregnant with twins. No doubt, such pregnancies are associated with additional risks. But the majority of problems and complications can be successfully avoided or solved if you stay in touch with your doctor and follow all the instructions provided by him.
Popular Questions about The Drug
- How does this medicine help to get pregnant?
It stimulates ovulation, which allows a woman to effectively schedule sexual intercourse.
- Does it help to get pregnant with twins?
It can enhance your chances to a certain extent since it can cause superovulation. But you can use it only after getting approval from your doctor.
- Do I need to take it daily?
As a rule, patients start using these pills on the 5th day of a menstrual cycle and take it for 5 days.
- What if I forget to take a dose on time?
Do not take any steps without having a consultation with your doctor. In case you try to compensate that by taking 2 pills at a time, that may put your health at risk.
- When will ovulation come?
Within 5–10 days after you finish the course of the drug.
- How do I know that ovulation has started?
The most frequently used solutions are monitoring the body temperature throughout each cycle and using home tests that are sold at the pharmacies.
- When and how often should I have sex to get pregnant?
The main point is to have intercourse during the fertile period. As a rule, it starts on the 10th day of a cycle and lasts about a week. It is advisable to have sex every other day or 3 times a week during this period.
- What will I feel when using the medicine?
The overwhelming majority of women do not feel any side effects at all. But you should be ready that you may experience hot flashes, changes in the mood, sleeping problems, or slight discomfort during sexual intercourse. That is normal.
- How soon will I get pregnant when applying this medication?
You may need up to 6 treatment courses for that. Besides, there is a risk that this drug will turn out to be ineffective for you and you will need to try something different.
- What if I have not gotten pregnant after using the drug?
If you have taken a home test and it is negative, your doctor may recommend undergoing a blood or ultrasound test. If the next menses have started, that probably means that you are not pregnant. You should turn to your doctor and ask whether you should take another try.
- Is this fertility drug safe to use?
Yes, if you strictly follow the dosage and regimen prescribed by your doctor and do not miss any consultations and examinations. It rarely causes adverse side effects.
- Will my insurance cover it?
In most cases, yes. For information, other fertility drugs are usually not included in insurance plans.
Important information: We have published this article about Clomid just to provide you with useful information. We do not give any medical advice or recommendations. The medicine mentioned should be used on prescription and under medical supervision only. You should never buy it without getting approval and clear instructions from a specialist. If you are interested in the product described, you can freely turn to your doctor and ask whether it will suit you. But, in case you decide to try it without receiving a prescription, you will be the only one to bear all the risks. Our company will not take any responsibility for any negative consequences related to your use of the information from this website.